WHAT IS TIFF©?
The Temple Index of Functional Fluency (TIFF©) is a personal development tool based on the Functional Fluency model. It was created by Susannah Temple in 2002. TIFF:
- promotes the self-awareness and understanding that enhances emotional literacy.
- is a valuable tool for consultants, trainers, counsellors, coaches, mentors and psychotherapists.
- is being used with leaders and managers, teams and staff groups, teachers and students.
- provides an innovative framework to help people bring about positive change
TIFF Providers are the key to the process. They have completed training and become licensed to use TIFF as a tool in their professional practice. Our TIFF Providers are business consultants, trainers, psychotherapists, counsellors, coaches, mentors, mediators and teachers. They are dedicated to helping each client understand his or her unique TIFF Profile, and to use it as a framework for positive change and development.
TIFF Providers will offer a service tailored to your needs. This could be:
- A TIFF profile, supportive feedback and review session for individual personal development.
- TIFF for TEAMS – individual profiles and feedbacks, plus group work using Functional Fluency to develop effective relationships and enhance team productivity.
- TIFF as an integral part of leadership, management or coaching programs.
- TIFF Perspectives – profiles are generated by participants on each other, enabling them to reflect on each other's impressions of their behavior and how these may be different or similar to their own.
Details of the bespoke service including the cost, will be agreed with the Provider with whom you choose to work.
How the TIFF© process works
- Completion of a TIFF questionnaire (online) taking 20 – 30 minutes.
- Individual feedback session with a TIFF Provider (usually face-to-face) to learn about the Functional Fluency model, thoroughly explore your TIFF profile and co-create an action plan for personal development.
- Follow-up session(s) using the TIFF framework, arranged by agreement.
What is special about TIFF©
Motivation for change is promoted by the empathic and encouraging style of the whole exercise, which is accepting of the fact that no one is perfect, and that everyone makes mistakes sometimes. The emphasis is on the positive because research shows this is the best way to fire up energy for change and development. Clients learn how to expand and enrich what they already do well. Research also shows that this way of working also helps with transforming those behaviors that are counter-productive.
- The feedback process is based on personal contact and does not use computer-generated commentary, as each profile is unique.
- Clients learn about the Functional Fluency model and how to use it as well as exploring their own profiles.
- Feedback is co-created and collaborative. Clients are not told what the profile means, instead these are explored together to build the understanding that brings hope, courage and motivation for change.
- Clients can continue to use the framework for themselves following initial feedback. This can also enhance further coaching if needed.
TIFF© puts the personal back into personal development
- TIFF is not a test, an evaluation or an assessment. It gives an accurate snapshot of present behavior.
- TIFF profiles are about the person's ways of behaving, not about the actual person.
- No typing or categorizing of people.
- No comparing of scores with 'norms' – no judgments.
- The client is in the driving seat and creates the action plan.
Ongoing personal development
TIFF frameworks for ongoing personal development are available for supporting work following the initial feedback session. These enable a focus on each of the Functional Fluency modes in turn, with guidance on how to develop or transform particular behaviors.
There are two parallel, or equivalent, questionnaires so that clients can do a repeat profiling, if desired and appropriate. This provision also facilitates a uniquely rich style of 'before and after' data collection for a variety of situations.
TIFF© as a tool for our time
With a World Health Organization prediction that by the year 2020 major depression/anxiety will be second to heart disease as a cause of disability, organizations and businesses have started to focus on their Social Sustainability. Corporate Service Responsibility (CSR) audits are being undertaken in companies. Those with a focus on Human Resources are a development of the previous 'Investment in People' frameworks.
Developing Functional Fluency using TIFF provides effective follow-up to a company CSR audit; an antidote to the depression and anxiety that can sap energy and initiative.
A functionally fluent organisation maximises both the effectiveness and the health of its members in order to deliver the success it aims for. 'Is the culture of our organisation part of the problem or part of the solution?' is the question to ask.
More information pages